Friday, August 13, 2010

Parents and Street Performing!





Andersen Parentals Visit LA!

Last week, I cleaned my car and apartment for the first time. Why?

My parentals were coming. And of course that means I have to be on my best behavior! If they're going to let me live out here after graduation, I have to prove that their little girl is living a fine, independent life in LA.





CHURCH!

My mom brought little stuffed corn beanie baby things to give to my church friends. If this is their only impression of Iowa, I am satisfied. My friend
Grace really enjoyed hers--its name is "Corny Cobb!"


Eating out with Friends and Roomies in Santa Monica!

I took Mom and Dad hiking in Griffith Park. Dad, who just rode on Ragbrai, was totally game. Mom huffed and puffed and asked if there was a trolly ride back down.





Then we visited the LA FASHION DISTRICT!!!

It was great. Poor Dad was bored and texted the whole time. He unfortunately does not have the shopping bug like my mom and I!

I was completely enthralled by all of the fabrics and beads, and I contemplated what material I could buy to sew my dream Disney Princess dress.

I bought some hair flowers and a purse. Not this one, though...though it would be great for
storing large appliances!












On Monday afternoon, I decided to get out my saxophone and play on Venice Beach. Venice beach is known for its kooky (at best) performers and vendors, from a skateboarder with no feet to psychics to break dancers. I thought--if they can make some money, why can't I?
But did you know that you have to have a permit to play with your case open? If you are collecting money, you have to reserve a spot along the beach...kind of like a parking spot. I made a sign that said "playing my way through college", but I couldn't put it up, because I didn't pay for a spot.

The cops started coming near me. So I just decided to be the strolling saxophonist!



I took requests. Many people requested things like Taylor Swift, and I told them that even though a saxophone couldn't really do that type of song justice, I played it anyway.

My favorites were when people requested jazz standards more suited for the sax, like Summertime or Misty!
I stumbled upon 2 other street musicians and we jammed for awhile. I tried to ask them about their musical background, but the sax player told me he was a brain surgeon and anthropologist.

I chose not to believe him.


HARRY PERRY


Lastly, I came upon this guy!! Harry Perry has been playing on Venice Beach since 1973.

He plays something he calls "Science Fiction Rock", wearing a turban and roller skates!

He's even made cameos on Heroes and CSI.


Here's a link to his act on YouTube...






THE CA$H RESULTS?


6 Dollars!!!!!!! Those dollars came from handshakes with money concealed--a secretive exchange because I did not have a permit. But I'll check into that for next time.

But for now, I can buy an ice cream cone with my earnings. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment